Our client is a fast growing, ambitious, highly profitable multinational biopharmaceutical company with an exciting pipeline of drugs, and poised for further global expansion. This role offers a high performing top executive the rare opportunity to utilise their proven leadership skills in a key Site Leadership post.
The Site Leader will be responsible for all activities at the company manufacturing facility in Ireland.
The position will oversee all daily operations of the plant from production and manufacturing to ensuring policies and procedures are followed. They are responsible for developing processes that will maximize stewardship, safety, quality and productivity. The position is responsible for fostering a culture in line with company values while maintaining a high performance, results orientated manufacturing operation.
- The newly appointed Site Leader will ensure that standards of quality expected of an FDA/EMA approved plant are met.
- Develop and manage the plant operating plan to meet annual financial goals in terms of OPEX and CAPEX, in line with Technical Operations objectives.
- Plan, organize, direct and run optimum day-to-day operations to meet agreed objectives. Report and manage variances as appropriate.
- Be responsible for production output, product quality and on-time shipping of product.
- Allocate resources effectively and fully utilize assets to produce optimal results.
- Implement strategies in alignment with strategic initiatives and provide a clear sense of direction and focus for plant operating staff.
- Monitor operations and trigger corrective actions as necessary
- Develop optimal working relationship within the plant management team and general staff.
- Recruit, manage and develop plant staff in line with the company’s HR focus to achieve superior results in terms of staff motivation and engagement.
- With colleagues in Technical Operations Leadership, e.g. Supply Chain, Development, Quality, Finance, Legal and HR agree and set performance targets and objectives for the facility. Ensure targets are achieved.
- Ensure compliance with the all appropriate safety standards relevant to plant activities.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant environmental, planning and labour regulations.
- Establish and maintain management systems and communications within the site and also with external stakeholders; e.g. Technical Operations Leadership.
- In line with the Technical Operations operating model, contribute to the development of cost effective manufacturing strategies to appropriately support the business.
- Support appropriate Technical Operations management teams as required to meet with overall business objectives.
- Represent company leadership within the local community, as required, consistent with corporate communication procedures and guideline.
- Maximize production, assets capacity and flexibility while minimizing unnecessary costs and maintaining current quality standards by fostering and implementing a LEAN operating culture.
- Ensure resources are allocated effectively to fully utilize assets and deliver optimal results.
- Develop systems and processes that track and optimize productivity and standards, metrics and performance targets to ensure effective return on assets.
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of current pharmaceutical management best practices and concepts.
- Highly flexible, leads and works well in a team environment, and has necessary skills to organize, mobilize, communicate and influence.
- Demonstrates a high level of integrity.
- Demonstrated capability in establishing collaborative working relationships at all levels, regardless of seniority.
- Demonstrated communication excellence through multiple mediums.
- Quick to recognize areas for improvement, and uses initiative to implement change programs in support of progress.
- Ability to deliver objectives on time, every time, while meeting all compliance and cost targets.
- Through leading by example, cultivate and nurture culture of collaboration and participation among the team.
- Actively promote at all levels, cascaded culture of change, innovation and self- improvement to reach all levels of the work force
Quality Systems Requirements:
- Good knowledge of quality systems and both FDA and EU regulations as they relate to pharmaceutical manufacturing.
- Experience of managing in a best practice operational excellence environment.
- Expertise in work place practices e.g. safety, health, occupational hygiene and environmental
Qualifications and Experience
Able to demonstrate a solid track record of career progression as well as proven leadership capabilities, the preferred candidate will possess a depth of technical expertise including manufacturing management, development and technology transfer within the global multinational pharmaceutical sector.
BS/MS in engineering or life science preferred; MBA preferred
A successful track record of achieving success in a leadership role in international, FDA/EMA approved, pharmaceutical manufacturing operations.
Broad experience across drug manufacturing technologies and dosage forms preferred.
Track record of success in managing successful teams.
Demonstrated technical expertise in pharmaceutical manufacturing operations.
Proven track record of developing personnel and implementing systems to drive the organization towards agreed goals.
Demonstrable track record of managing cost, talent development and delivering positive results on a consistent basis.
Demonstrated ability to manage projects and people in a globalized manufacturing environment.
Key Competencies Required
- Leading the Organization: Develops/communicates a compelling vision and sense of purpose for the function/organization; works collaboratively to formulate long-range and mid-term strategies; demonstrates courage in advancing new, innovative ideas; champions change initiatives to enhance organizational performance.
- Collaboration: Works with others and builds effective relationships to accomplish common goals and objectives. Shares information, ideas and solutions with others. Recognises when compromise is necessary while working towards consensus with a focus on outcomes which reflect the collective need.
- Influence and Impact: Develops effective influence strategies based on an understanding of the motivations and needs of others; effectively represents one’s own perspective and communicates in a manner that generates support and commitment for proposals/recommendations to enhance the organization’s performance.
- Integrity: Displays honesty, truthfulness, trustworthy, principled actions and leadership, business ethics and compliance. Demonstrates consistency between words and actions. Direct and honest in communication and feedback. Honours commitments to others. Handles confidential and sensitive information appropriately.
- Pursuit of Excellence: Continually improves and adds value. Is committed to high quality and standards. Is proactive in addressing issues that might cause problems or processes needing improvement.
- Innovation: Approaches problems with curiosity and open-mindedness. Takes educated risks. Is willing to explore new ideas and methods. Is willing to embrace and lead change. Is passionate about quality.
- Leadership responsibilities are fulfilled through:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Relationship skills: negotiation skills, presentation skills, able to read the corporate culture, listening skills, harvests people’s energy, manages team members.
- Superior time management skills
- Attention to detail without losing sight of the big picture
- Keeps up to date with technical and managerial developments in the industry
- Adaptability and flexibility.
Cv to Gerry@rftgroup.ie