Our client, a world leader in developing innovative adhesive solutions for healthcare products, is looking to fill the newly created role of Innovation Group Leader based in Limerick.
The successful candidate will work with the existing innovation team and key customers across Europe, providing breakthrough technology solutions. Experienced in organic chemistry, the candidate will possess commercial acumen and the ability to identify business opportunities. In doing so, the candidate will be able to create the future vision and development of the innovation team.
If you are this type of person, please read to full job specification and apply for the position.
Manages a team of chemists/scientists/technicians and executes pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) tape prototype development, scale-up, and product launch in various applications. The group leader will focus on platform technology development, new product development for customer-driven projects, as well as continuous improvement and cost reduction of existing products and processes. Emphasis on acrylic polymer synthesis, silicone and rubber adhesive formulations, PSA rheology, knowledge of tape assemblies, backing material selection, and release liner familiarity. Works with customers and AR teams to collect design input and develop new product design strategies. Technical and laboratory lead in developing new adhesive solutions, robust products, and basic production processes that can be successfully commercialized.
- Establishes and directs research programs for new product development and product/process improvement of current products. Responsible for complex basic research and/or product development projects.
- Leads lab personnel and facilitates development of product constructions and processes; designs & conducts chemical experiments on both lab- and production-scale; designs and specifies production scale processes and contributes to product validation.
- Conducts and directs required laboratory work to develop new PSA and tape assemblies including polymerization, formulation, coating and testing. Develops new products that lead to sustainable commercial revenue.
- Completes any necessary regulatory forms. Ensures team follows similar protocols and procedures.
- Implements and executes product development to align with Stage Gate timelines and sets prioritization with the Director of Innovation and Product Management team. Meets technical commitments in order to complete project progression dates and milestones on time.
- Drives patent strategy (reading, planning, and execution) within the team to align with goals established by the Director of Innovation.
- Consults with Director of Innovation, Product Management, Operations, Quality and Sales personnel on group priorities and strategy. Active role in setting overall Innovation direction & strategy. Participates in business planning process with one or more business as appropriate. Establishes program priorities, objectives and responsibilities for group. Ensures effective communication of Innovation program progress for own work and for overall group.
- Functions as a technical lead on product development teams. Leads cross-functional product development teams to ensure effective prototype development, to drive prototypes to commercial products, and to translate findings into impactful business revenue.
- Participates and occasionally leads establishment and implementation of R&D policies and procedures. May be responsible for specified lab areas.
- Interfaces with customers on new product applications and networks externally to assure highest level of competence is maintained.
- Develops skills within the team and evaluates performance of department personnel. Mentors and and coaches associates to effectively work in the department in addition to promoting a collaborative work environment (within the department and cross-functionally). Executes performance reviews annually.
- Makes identifiable and substantial contributions to continuous improvement. Performs all duties consistent with established AR guidelines consistent with ISO-9001 and those elements of GMP deemed necessary to support our business (as outlined in the Quality Manual). Actively complies with and endorses Department and Company objectives.
- Responsible for the proper disposal of hazardous waste into the proper labeled containers and drums.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management.
- BS degree (or higher) in chemistry, chemical engineering, polymer science or materials science and/or significant industrial experience. Ph.D. degree preferred but not required.
- Greater than 3 years adhesive formulation, mixing process and coating process experience. Demonstrates detailed knowledge of required chemical and physical test methods for PSA characterization. Requires an aptitude to use sensitive test equipment.
- Basic understanding and familiarity with adhesive chemistries and coating technologies. Familiarity and understanding of various adhesive chemistries (acrylic, silicone, rubber).
- Understanding of adhesive tape constructions (backing materials, release liner selection, adhesive chemistries, etc.)
- Knowledge of PSA rheology, dynamic mechanical analysis, and other physical polymer characterization methods
- Supervisory experience preferred with experience managing a team of scientists in product development, technology platform expansion, and patent filing.
- Demonstrated technology and/or product development capability.
- Expertise required in Stage Gate processes and how to move projects through the pipeline with discipline, efficiency, and accountability
- Excellent program prioritization and coordination skills, ability to manage multiple priorities
- Ability and willingness to work effectively in a diverse, disciplined team environment with limited supervision. Ability to work independently and drive project execution with limited guidance.
- Excellent program prioritization and coordination skills, ability to manage multiple priorities. Agility to adapt and shift to changing priorities, proactively anticipating obstacles, and flexibility to seek out alternative solutions when faced with meeting customer design inputs and timelines
- Must communicate fluently in English
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of AR information
- Excellent oral & written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of computers & related word processing, spreadsheet & e-mail software – Microsoft preferred
- Ability to employ statistical analysis techniques. Familiarity with design of experiments software and set-up, ability to employ statistical analysis techniques
- Ability to develop and present effective technical presentations to internal and external customers.